today’s word impulse…
began when i heard
“a hearkening of strings”
and it brought to mind
and, then, it followed that there must also be
“a hearkening of the heart”
if hearkened hearts are
to be listened to.. then we must follow..
Today we are thinking of our son who is away for a bit.. this was one of his favorite breakfasts.
I Heart Gingerbread Waffles
- 1 1/2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup buttermilk (or 1 cup milk+ 1 tbsp vinegar stirred in)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 melted butter
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- Preheat waffle iron.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, ground ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix thoroughly.
- Stir in the buttermilk, eggs, butter, molasses and brown sugar. Fold together just until all ingredients are incorporated. Batter will be lumpy. Do not over mix.
- Pour 1/2 cup (approximately depending on waffle iron) on griddle, close lid and cook until waffle is lightly browned and cooked through. (Approximately 5 minutes.) This batter will make about 7 large waffles.