so I’ve made my first recipe slideshow!
it’s a traditional Canadian Christmas treat
and a cherished song
Let the Christmas Baking Begin!
Mabel’s Nanaimo Bars
created by Joyce Hardcastle
(award winning version)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (European style cultured)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 5 tbsp. cocoa
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 1/4 cups graham wafer crumbs (I used 1 3/4 cups)
- 1/2 c. finely chopped almonds?1 cup coconut
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp. and 2 Tsp. cream
- 2 Tbsp. vanilla custard powder
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 4 squares semi-sweet chocolate (1 oz. each)
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- Melt first 3 ingredients in top of double boiler or on very low heat in a large saucepan. Add egg and stir to cook and thicken. Remove from heat. Stir in crumbs, coconut, and nuts. Press firmly into an ungreased 8? x 8? pan.
- Cream butter, cream, custard powder, and icing sugar together well. Beat until light. Spread over bottom layer.
- Melt chocolate and butter overlow heat. Cool. Once cool, but still liquid, pour over second layer and chill in refrigerator.