With a huge grin, I watched people wander in and then gaze…
gob-smacked… where to start… what to choose?
They stopped by to pick up a few pretty items and most overpaid…
“keep the change”
was the order of the day.
Brown Bagging for Kids!
So toss on your woolen coats and stroll on in!
Pick up a yummy dessert…
I guess you could drive if you’re coming from afar;)
Maybe cook up a bowlful of this hand and tummy warming soup…
Heartwarming Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 large butternut squash
- 2 carrots
- 1-2 small shallots
- 2 tbsp butter
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 apple
- 1 bay leaf
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 8 oz brie cheese
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Cut squash in half lengthwise, using a spoon scrape out the seeds. Line a baking sheet with non-stick foil or spray with a vegetable spray. Place squash halves cut side down on the foil. Pierce all over with a fork or skewer. Bake for about 45 minutes or until tender. Allow to cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, chop up the carrots, peel and chop the shallots. Add butter to a large pot and heat on medium. Saute the carrots and shallots until softened but not browned. Scrape the pulpy flesh from inside the squash and add to the pot. Pour over the chicken stock and bring to a light boil.
- Add the apple, bay leaf, pinch of nutmeg and sugar to the stock mixture. Simmer for another 40 minutes or until all vegetables are fork tender. Remove the bay leaf.
- Blend in batches or use an immersion blender to puree all the ingredients together. (*If using blender, ensure soup has cooled significantly first or it will “burst” the lid off when blending).
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, place a 1/2? piece of brie (skin removed) on the bottom of each bowl. Ladle in the hot soup.
- Garnish with sour cream. Drizzle sour cream in a decorative pattern and use a skewer or toothpick to embellish.