Thanksgiving Birch Bark Candles DIY ~ Tablescape & Decor

I’m back home from Vegas, a wee bit tired,
This is a rather blurry iPhoto of the gang.. ( or maybe it’s my eyes that are blurry? )

Girls Vegas
I love these girls.. and the three that couldn’t make the trip.

BUT.. I came home to learn that it is our turn to have the family over for Canadian Thanksgiving this weekend.

So as they say..  no rest for the WICKED!

I went on a rampage through the house again (no, not in Vegas!)
moving things here and there.

I loved the simplicity of three candlesticks with red candles, pomegranates and giant pinecones.
..all neutrals, red and black,
but I decided to add the wee little garden flowers for more color.

Thanksgiving Tablescape

Just this crow is my newest addition from Pottery Barn. I think I should name him, any thoughts?

I loved this old black crow but he is a bit creepy, don’t you think?

Old Crow

He’s not a very welcoming Thanksgiving guest,
I might have to stash him away until Hallowe’en.

How about this tablescape then.. much more appetizing with a wee autumnal bird and my birch candles added in..

Fall Tablescape A

Isn’t he adorable? I found him at Magnolia Flower Shop, they have a few more there..

When I plan tablescapes, I like to consider textures.. a fall tablescape needs the texture of birch but the softness of the little bird makes everything more appealing.

Autumn Bird

A few twigs and fur blankets added here and there..

Twigs

Some bright green apples and pumpkin-orange tulips,

Tulips

I know I promised you a Birch Bark DIY craft before I left for Vegas and I always keep my promises.
This is a pretty natural looking candle.. after Vegas I felt like I should be sprinkling glitter all over everything!

Birch Bark Candle CG 3

You don’t need much, just birch bark, candles, pieces of leather, jute string, leaves.. a melange of fall!

I found the strips of bark came off quite easily from my stash of fireplace logs I have in the backyard.
My bag of firewood is just one of those bags you pick up at any gas station.

Note: While I used regular candles, battery operated might be a lot less flammable and safer!

Birch Bark Candle

Materials

large candles, any size, preferably battery operated
birch bark strips
one large elastic
leather string
glue gun (optional)

Directions

1. Wrap the elastic loosely around the candle.

2. Tuck the bark inside, overlapping to cover the candle. Cut to the height of the candle.

3. Continue adding pieces until the candle is covered.

4. Wrap leather string around a few times, knot and trim ends.

5. If end pieces are sticking out, just dab a little glue and press into place.

6. Remove elastic.

Bark & Leather CandlePicMonkey Collage

Once you’ve made the birch candle, you might want to make a wee Cinnamon Bark Candle.

Cinnamon Bark Candle

The method is the same, just use a smaller candle that won’t be taller than your cinnamon sticks.

Cinnamon Candle PicMonkey Collage

How about a little fall twiggery added in for color?

{ I think this one’s my favorite }

Birch Candle CG 2

Or a burlap version with jute string?

Burlaps & Leaf Candle

What can I say? I drank a ton of coffee this morning!

I kept going and made this sweet little nest covered with pine cones.

Pine Cone Nest

But I think it looks best with a bird tucked inside..

Bird 2

No instructions are needed here, just gather pine cones and glue gun them to the base and around the sides of the nest.
It does take a little fiddling to get it to sit flat, though.

Pinecone Nest PicMonkey Collage

I decided before I left for Vegas to move my home files upstairs away from my real estate desk,
it’s nice to keep things separate I think..

So after another cup of coffee.. I added a little fall in there as well.

Desk

I painted this Autumn|Winter landscape a while back.. it’s one of my favorites because of the colors in the trees.
I tend to paint more blues and neutrals, so this was a big change for me.

Then I just scattered faux leaves, a pumpkin, more birch bark, small garland, another candle and old books around it.

Painting

Old Books

I think a version of this would work as a mantel too?

And.. now I’ve got to start planning the menu.. and it’s time to get back to work..

Like I said..

No rest for the WICKED!!

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend to all my Canadian friends.. and a wonderful weekend for the rest of you!

I’ll be popping in soon for a visit!

Love, Smidge

• Rebecca - October 10, 2013 - 10:44 am

You are just too darn creative!! Very coolReplyCancel

• Andy - October 10, 2013 - 10:56 am

I love the cozy atmosphere and decor, For a second I actually thought that crow was real lol :) ReplyCancel

• T.Dashfield - October 10, 2013 - 12:17 pm

Great candle ideas you party animal you!ReplyCancel

• Rachel - October 10, 2013 - 12:46 pm

Such a simple and lovely idea! Thanks for the multiple examples. Now I want to make these too!ReplyCancel

• celia - October 10, 2013 - 2:18 pm

Happy Thanksgiving, Smidge! Your candles are beautiful, and I have to say, I quite like the crow! :) Sounds like you had a blast in Vegas! xxReplyCancel

• Hotly Spiced - October 10, 2013 - 5:10 pm

Happy Thanksgiving, Smidge and I’m glad you survived Vegas. I love your pomegranate candles – they are such a pretty colour. And I love how you’re decorating your home for Thanksgiving. I know it’s a lot of work to host an event but it’s lovely to have the occasion in your own home as well. Good luck with all the preparation and I do hope you share some images for those of us who come from nations with no Thanksgiving! xxReplyCancel

• Claire @ Claire K Creations - October 10, 2013 - 6:27 pm

I always love your seasonal decorating but yes I have to agree with you on the crow. Save him for Halloween!ReplyCancel

• Mandy - The Complete Book - October 11, 2013 - 1:08 am

Smidge your home is always filled with so much love and beauty. We here in South Africa don’t celebrate Thanksgiving, but if we did, I would want to enjoy it in your beautiful home.
    Have a lovely weekend and enjoy planning your menu.
    :-) Mandy xoReplyCancel

• April - October 11, 2013 - 6:32 am

I’m playing blog catch-up after a very busy summer. As always, your photos and crafts are gorgeous! Love looking at all of your decorating. :)

I was walking on an old rail trail with the dogs day before yesterday and there were some fallen birch trees. I thought to myself that I should gather that bark but then talked myself out of it because I didn’t want to carry it all the way! Now I’m sorry I didn’t! Love your candles. :) ReplyCancel

• Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen - October 12, 2013 - 5:56 pm

Nice to see you here, April! I hope you had a wonderful summer!!ReplyCancel

• Norma Chang - October 11, 2013 - 6:11 pm

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving. Looking forward to reading about your menu and celebration.
    Where did you find bright green apples and pumpkin-orange tulips this time of year?ReplyCancel

• Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen - October 12, 2013 - 5:56 pm

Norma, our green granny smith apples are found here in every grocery store year round.. they’re definitely not local and market-fresh, I wish they were! Ditto for the tulips, everything is brought in because our growing season is so short. xxReplyCancel

• Brittany - October 11, 2013 - 7:17 pm

These DIY candles and decorations would sell for GOOD money in stores! You should create an Etsy shop for all your creations!! Adorable!! Glad you had a great time in Vegas, you wild girl!!ReplyCancel

• Debra - October 11, 2013 - 10:57 pm

What a wonderful candle decorating tutorial! I love each one, and can’t wait to get started making some for my home. Happy Thanksgiving! We won’t celebrate until the end of November, so I have a little time.

I’m sure you had a wonderful time in Vegas! It’s nice you have such a good group of friends all willing to travel for a girl’s adventure! Nice! oxReplyCancel

• ChgoJohn - October 12, 2013 - 12:28 am

If you all needed to wear masks, you most certainly were having a good time! Although I’m not a crafty person, I can recognize a good looking finished project when I see one. Your candles look beautiful, Barb. I bet your home will look lovely for the holiday, with your special touches to warm each room. I hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend.ReplyCancel

• Viveka - October 12, 2013 - 3:51 am

Love the photo of you,”scandal beauties”.
    Just two words for your candles – Beautiful awesome.
    And your paintin is fantastic – it reminds me about a Swedish famous painting – Helmer Osslund 1866-1938 -”Torne träsk om hösten”.http://www.bukowskis.com/auctions/571/111-helmer-osslund-torne-trask-om-hosten – was sold for 31,328CAN$.

I wish you a pleasant autumn weekend.ReplyCancel

• Marlene - October 13, 2013 - 7:15 pm

Such beautiful candles! I can’t decide which I like better .. I just may have to make them all. The faux-flame candles that are available now would be great for centre piece decorations – wouldn’t want them going up in flames!

Looks like you had a wicked good time in Vegas!ReplyCancel

• […] it was the thrill of operating a digger and dozer in Vegas, or wearing a real hard […]ReplyCancel

• 10 DIY Burlap Fall Decorations - October 21, 2013 - 1:10 am

[…] If all you have is 5 minutes and you want to make things easy on yourself, this festive burlap decoration is right up your alley. Using hot glue, simply attach burlap ribbon (or regular burlap cut to size) around a candle. Embellish with other nature-inspired items (e.g., jute twine, pine cones, leaves, etc.) as suits your style. Viola. Done and done.{found on justasmidgen}. […]ReplyCancel

• wendy@chezchloe - October 26, 2013 - 8:35 pm

Wonderful post of ideas.
    And all those great legs. What a fun trip!ReplyCancel

• […] 1. Thanksgiving Birch Bark Candles DIY | Tablescape & Decor // JUST A SMIDGEN – 2. Birch Wood Candle Holders // OLEANDER + PALM – 3. [Nachmachtipp] Bougie Rustique // SINNENRAUSCH […]ReplyCancel

• […] source […]ReplyCancel

• […] If Mom loves the outdoors, you can create any number of beautiful candles using things that you find outside. This birch bark candle is simply to make and if you have a rather wide candle on hand, it won’t cost you anything. You just have to find the birch bark (or whatever you want to decorate the candle with) outside and then add a few embellishments. Making decorative candles is one of the easiest DIY gift ideas and there are so many different looks that you can create. Do a few of these and add them to a small basket. DIY Instructions – Justasmidgen […]ReplyCancel

• […] If Mom loves the outdoors, you can create any number of beautiful candles using things that you find outside. This birch bark candle is simply to make and if you have a rather wide candle on hand, it won’t cost you anything. You just have to find the birch bark (or whatever you want to decorate the candle with) outside and then add a few embellishments. Making decorative candles is one of the easiest DIYgift ideas and there are so many different looks that you can create. Do a few of these and add them to a small basket. DIY Instructions – Justasmidgen […]ReplyCancel

• […] birch bark candle by ‘Just a Smidgen’ is a simpler style, very natural. Scroll down her page because not […]ReplyCancel

Your email is never published or shared.