Don’t you sometimes just crave those yummy Vietnamese Spring Rolls?
I sure do, but I’ve only made them a handful of times because it’s such a process!
Fiddling with those flat white rice paper wrappers, prepping all the veggies, then soaking each rice wrap one at a time, arranging the veggies, rolling each one up, and of course you have to cover them with a damp cloth before they dry out.
I get tired just thinking about making them!
But you don’t mind chopping if you have an extra pair of hands in the kitchen!
And I started thinking that it’s really the filling of the spring rolls that I love the most… and that spicy peanut dipping sauce.
Then I thought, why not just make a giant Vietnamese Spring Roll Bowl!
A bowl with a healthy crunch, starting with a layer of butter lettuce, then they’re lined with one rice wrap,
filled with vermicelli noodles,
carrots + cucumbers + sweet peppers
bean sprouts + sweet pea shoots + avocado slices
slivers of scallion + roasted peanuts + cilantro
I forgot the black sesame seeds, but they would be the perfect finishing touch,
but then you’ve gotta have that spicy peanut sauce to drizzle over!
Best of all, when you get near the end, you get to pick up the lettuce, fold it up and devour the last bits!
It might get messy, I’m not gonna lie!
But it’s the best Vegan Bowl we’ve had in a long time:)
- 1 package firm tofu
- 2 tbsp tamari sauce
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 head large butter lettuce leaves, rinsed, pat dry
- 4 large dried rice paper wrappers
- 1 bunch vermicelli (thin rice stick) noodles
- 3 carrots, grated
- 1 red bell pepper, slivered
- 1/4 - 1/2 cucumber, slivered
- 2 cups bean sprouts, rinsed and drained
- 1 -2 avocado, sliced
- 1 package sweet pea shoots
- 3 green onions (scallions), chopped diagonally
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts, chopped
- mango slices
- cilantro, garnish
- mint leaves, garnish
- black sesame seeds, garnish
- wedge of lime
- 2 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 1 1/2 tsp tomato paste
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp red pepper chili flakes
- Chop your tofu into cubes and add to a small bowl. Measure the tamari sauce and rice vinegar over the tofu. Refrigerate and marinate while you prepare your bowl, gently turning over now and then to get the marinade coating on all of the tofu pieces.
- Prepare all of your vegetables and set aside.
- Boil water and cook vermicelli (thin rice stick) noodles as instructed, only a minute or two and they will be done. Drain and rinse with cold water and set aside.
- Meanwhile, line your bowls with butter lettuce. Add hot, not boiling water to a large bowl. Immerse one rice paper wrapper and keep plunging and submerging it with your fingers until it softens. Don't let it get too soft or it will begin to fall apart when you lift it out. Once softened, after about 45 second to 1 minute, line the butter lettuce leaves with the rice wrap. Repeat for your other bowls.
- Add some vermicelli (thin rice stick) noodles to each bowl. Top with the marinated tofu, carrots, bell pepper and cucumber, avocado, bean sprouts and sweet pea shoots, arranging them in a bowl together. Top with green onions and roasted peanuts and any other garnish you wish.
- Serve with Spicy Peanut Sauce
- In a small bowl, add each ingredient in order, whisking well after each addition. Refrigerate any left over.